Wednesday 19 November 2008

Di Wig

Di profile, a wha da gal fool man a wid
Di wig
The latest style we a lik


When General Levy first hiccuped these lines on Dance Energy in 1992, I had no idea how significant they would become for me. I now know. Putting a female solo artist on screen is the hardest work I've known - harder than when I temped at Manpower. On Friday I fly to Las Vegas with Alesha Dixon to shoot the video for her forthcoming single 'Breathe Slow'. So far I've attended 4 wardrobe meetings, 2 hat fittings, 2 choreography rehearsals, 1 nail session and today we have a hair 'trial'. This is the most important part of the process. This is when we fit the Lace Front Weave.


Yeah I hadn't heard of one either until a week ago. If the weave is wrong you might as well pack your bags and go home. If you fuck this up your artist's gonna look like, in the words of the General, a 'picky head'.

And getting the right wig is only the first hurdle. Fitting it is a whole other story. If you glue it too much, it's gonna look like this:


Glue it too little and it might start to slip, leaving you with that authentic bald head eagle, cracky look:


So you have to ask yourself one simple question: what's it worth to get it right?

For some people (including Gwen Stefani) the answer is celebrity hair stylist Danilo. He is apparently the world's leading exponent of the Lace Front Weave. I looked into his availabilty for the Alesha video and was told that his fee is 14 thousand dollars a day. Really.

Sweet Jesus. Give me the wig and some Copy Dex and I'll stick it on. How hard can it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment