Tuesday 20 January 2009

Aotearoa

Kia ora.

Sorry for the post drought: I just got back from 3 weeks in New Zealand and I'm jet lagged out of my mind. I ate some Zolpidem at 1.45am this morning, but still woke up 2 hours later longing for roast chicken and a glass of Pinot Noir. I shined off the chicken and necked half a bottle of Kusuda 2006.

We spent most of our stay in New Zealand hanging out with the 'whanau', which is the Maori word for family, particularly our niece and nephew, Alex who's nearly 8 and James who's 5 and a half. James is obsessed with aeroplanes and space. His favourite book is about the Apollo lunar missions. His favourite picture is of Neil Armstrong's footprint on the surface of the moon. He can build Lego for hours on end and his best friend is Ben Gardner. Things that he likes are 'cool as'. Most days he watches a cartoon about a boy that can turn into different aliens called 'Ben 10'.

Spending time with James was a poignant reminder of how simple and beautiful life was before jobs, mortgages, GCSEs, girls, pubes, spliffs, beers, beans, expectations, skateboards, overdrafts, votes, emails, Human Resources, midweeks, meetings, hairlines, bands and so on and so forth.

So here is a flip camera, auto edit celebration of the sheer five-ness of being 5.


James from I'd Prefer Not To TV on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. Good to to have you back in the real world aka the blogosphere. Nice report... I'm actually working on a little Star Wars project myself...

    jobs - well rubbish
    mortgages - huh? I dont have one of those...
    GCSEs - oh, I DO have one of those
    girls - hmm
    pubes - one or two
    spliffs - many
    beers - many
    beans - many if heinz, not so many if cashmoney
    expectations - none
    skateboards - I have one but its dusty
    overdrafts - yup
    votes - best tre... Antuan?
    emails - its all about the blogs
    Human Resources - fire me please
    midweeks - benders?
    meetings - yes
    hairlines - if I shave my head, I have an oval hairline not unlike a monkey
    bands - apparantly so

    Either way, it was a lot easier when we was chidlets.

    I wanna get on some Benjamin Button shit like Kanye.

    Brap. Happy new year, dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to be 5 to do all that stuff. I regularly fall face first onto my mattress after doing the devil horns.

    Only difference is, I can legally buy the alcohol that makes me do that now.

    StitchTim.

    ReplyDelete